Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Things That Make Me Happy

~having this hour or so to write!
~saying YES ! to big things
~hearing laughter, especially from the boys, men, friends and family I love
~getting mail from someone I haven't heard from in awhile
~being in salt water
~learning how to surf, even if it is hard hard hard
~traveling
~great books that suck me in and don't let me go until they are done
~wonderful love making in the morning ... what a great way to start the day !
~well, wonderful sex anytime, actually
~a delicious meal, eaten outside, in the summer, with loved ones ..... yummy
~being called yummy
~sculpture
~finding some "new" clothes for free, or on the cheap, which fit perfectly and look terrific
~a great movie
~going for walks
~exercising hard in some way I love
~sculling, climbing something fun or I didn't think I could, playing tennis even though I am TERRIBLE at it, biking, other good exercise
~riding a beach cruiser bicycle
~seeing cool stuff at the beach, like crabs that make beautiful designs in the sand, or little green rock crabs, or California sea lions
~when the boys are excited to tell me something
~when the boys are silly
~when we can cuddle up for a book together
~reading and reading and reading and reading and reading
~reading about writing and writing about anything
~dreamgroup and how it works ..... it blows my mind sometimes
~sweatlodge .... singing, sweating, and letting happen whatever is going to happen
~Just knowing something is true in my heart, or yours
~listening to my body
~yoga
~paintings that stop me in my tracks
~yoga retreats ...... hmmm maybe soon soon soon
~airports! crazy, I know, but I guess it is simply because I'm on my way somewhere!!!! away, or home sweet home
~hugs
~sunshine through the leaves
~windy days
~rainbows shining through one of those deep blue skies .... gorgeous
~sweet, tiny babies .... the way they smell, the way they remind me of the fragility of being human, how perfect they are, no matter what
~dancing
~singing in the car
~a new favorite song I cannot hear often enough
~good energy in places where there are a LOT of people
~and dancing and dancing and dancing and dancing
~hiking
~laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing
~meeting new friends
~buying Local
~thinking the world has a good chance of getting it right after all. It makes me happy to see the glass not only half full, but half full of the most satisfying drink you ever tasted . . . . maybe just water, maybe something else, but so thirst quenching and delicious!
~playing a good game ...... any kind
~deliciously outrageous fantasies . . . . all kinds
~kicking crispy fall leaves along the sidewalk
~watching certain bugs for a bit
~playing frisbee
~saying "I love you" to someone I love
~hearing "I love you" from someone I love
~getting lots of fun comments on FB when I've posted something ...... *sigh* it's true, sad, but true
~drama! .... Theatre that takes me right out of myself and makes the world feel sublime
~feeling sublime ...... and the way those moments are completely without time ..... I LOVE that!
~knowing you want to love someone, and you can
~friendships that span the years
~the way our personal characters seem intact throughout our lives .... who we are doesn't really seem to change too too much, though everything else changes all the time ..... the way I AM or we ARE just is what it is, even as we do so many different things
~telling a good story and knowing others are enjoying it
~when the phone rings (and without seeing the phone) .... just knowing who is on the other end of the line because I was JUST thinking about them .... Or being surprised to be able to talk to who I was JUST thinking about ......
~being surprised by someone in a good way
~a thoughtful gift when it was given and received with a pure heart
~being able to listen well, and remembering, sometimes, it is all I need to do
~helping out someone I don't even know in a little way, like helping someone cross the street, or up a few stairs, or holding a door, or just being friendly
~smiling
~road trips, bus rides, and being able to watch what is around while I pass through
~writing in my journal
~when a dream tells me something important, and I feel like I "get it" even for just a little while
~knowing everything is going to be alright
~shoving snow
~having a poem hit you in the middle of yourself
~feeling the sun warm my skin
~getting a massage
~avacado .... the perfect food
~the perfect summer peach
~when I listen to myself and know what I'm doing is authentic and right for right now
~when I can be kind to myself (some days it seems so rare or so fleeting, but I'm trying to change that)
~you reading this, so thank you

2 comments:

Christy Bills said...

Kathleen, this was a lovely list. What an affirmation of Happiness! I hope you'll review this list whenever you need to and it will keep you buoyant forever. -Christy

Kathleen said...

Oh thank you so much .... I'm really trying to get on here and write at least twice a week. I have one ready to go ..... just need to follow a certain famous writer's motto: Ass in chair!

Funny, since I've done this I've thought of a few more but the one in my head at the moment is

Sand between my toes!!

hope you are doing well this summer ... would love to see you and the girls if you'd like to get together sometime, just give me a call!!